In the ICC Cricket WC 2023, Sunday has become a historic day for Afghanistan cricket. They pulled off the biggest upset in the World Cup by defeating defending champion England by 69 runs. In this match played in Delhi, Afghanistan’s spin bowlers put up a stunning performance, leaving the defending champions England stunned. This is a defeat that will be remembered for years to come.
Afghanistan’s tremendous performance has pushed England’s run rate into the negative
In the 13th edition of the WC 2023 on Sunday at Delhi’s Arun Jaitley Cricket Stadium, Afghanistan’s team made history. They defeated England, a team that has won both the ODI and T20 World Championships, by 69 runs. In this match, Afghanistan’s team not only won but also climbed from 10th place to 6th place. This is their first win in 3 matches, and with a net run rate of -0.652, they are now in 6th place. Meanwhile, England, with 2 losses and 1 win in 3 matches, is sitting at their usual 5th place, but their net run rate has turned negative at -0.084.
India is the table topper, with New Zealand, South Africa, and Pakistan in the top 4
Looking at the table at the end of this mega tournament, the top 4 teams have solidified their positions. Team India is the table-topper with 6 points from 3 matches, boasting a net run rate of +1.821. Following them is New Zealand in second place with a net run rate of +1.604. South Africa holds the third position with the best net run rate of +2.360. Pakistan’s team, with 2 wins in 3 matches, is in the fourth position but carries a net run rate of -0.137.
The direct impact of Afghanistan’s victory has been felt by the teams below them in the rankings. Bangladesh has slipped to the 7th position, Sri Lanka is in 8th place, the Netherlands is in 9th place, and the five-time World Champion, Australia, is now in the 10th position.
Here’s the current ICC WC 2023 points table:
- India: 3 matches played, 3 wins, 0 losses, +1.821 net run rate, 6 points.
- New Zealand: 3 matches played, 3 wins, 0 losses, +2.360 net run rate, 6 points.
- South Africa: 2 matches played, 2 wins, 0 losses, +1.500 net run rate, 4 points.
- Pakistan: 3 matches played, 2 wins, 1 loss, -0.137 net run rate, 4 points.
- England: 3 matches played, 1 win, 2 losses, -0.084 net run rate, 2 points.
- Afghanistan: 3 matches played, 1 win, 2 losses, -0.652 net run rate, 2 points.
- Bangladesh: 3 matches played, 1 win, 2 losses, -0.699 net run rate, 2 points.
- Sri Lanka: 2 matches played, 0 wins, 2 losses, -1.161 net run rate, 0 points.
- Netherlands: 2 matches played, 0 wins, 2 losses, -1.800 net run rate, 0 points.
- Australia: 2 matches played, 0 wins, 2 losses, -1.846 net run rate, 0 points.